Ever think about FL flood insurance and wonder what flood zone you are in? Here’s a step-by-step guide for how to bring up your property on the official FEMA web site and determine your Flood Zone!
- Navigate your browser to http://msc.fema.gov/
- In the top left corner, enter your address. For our example, we’ll find the flood map of the Dennis Insurance Agency location!
- Once you have entered your address, this screen will show. Click the little magnifying glass under “View.” Note: These are free, so please do not click on Buy!
- This will pop up.
- You should be familiar with your area. This view is a little hard to read, though, so let us show you a trick that will make seeing your area easier. Click the button that says “Make a FIRMette” in the bottom left corner.
- This will now show up:
- See that red box in the top left corner of the map? Just click and drag it over your address. (The black star is our location!)
- Once the red box is over your address, look in the lower left corner of the window and create your FIRMette as either an image or a PDF.
- Voila! The finished product. From here, you can save a copy to your computer, if you wish.
If your address is in a grayed out area, you are in a flood zone (likely A or AE, like you can see in our map). If you are in white, you are in flood zone X, where you are less prone to flooding.
You can read more about each of the flood zones and what they mean at the FEMA web site.