There is nothing more American than the automobile and the freedom it brings. A given fact of America over the last several decades has been how in love Americans are with their vehicles. There may be several reasons for wanting a car, but the flexibility and freedom a car provides is obviously one of the biggest. But modern times and modern technology has caught up with the automobile. Maybe it’s not all bad…
There are a growing number of devices meant to watch driving habits. I won’t debate the morality and legal pros and cons of these devices because there are plenty of people doing that already. I do, however, want to talk about how some of this modern technology can help you.
Insurance companies are beginning to test the waters of using technology to better rate their risk. I can’t tell you how many times I have heard my clients tell me how unfair it is for them to pay for the other guy on the road that is playing with the radio, talking on his cell phone, slamming on his brakes, or doing something else irresponsible (please note that slamming on your brakes can be the responsible thing to do when appropriate- just not all the time). Insurance companies are now testing different methods to individually rate drivers. Some are using GPS enable devices and others, like Progressive Insurance Company are taking another, different, and unique approach by using a device that records on limited information.
Progressive is now offering bigger-than-ever discounts with their innovative Snapshot option, which allows safe drivers the ability to earn a discount of up to 30% based on their safe driving habits. Snapshot provides policyholders an opportunity to prove their safe driving habits and get the lower rates they deserve by installing a small device into the data port underneath your dashboard. It won’t get in the way and you’ll probably forget it’s even there.
Here are a few things that the Snapshot device does:
1) Easily plugs into your vehicle within seconds.
2) Temporarily monitors some basic driving habits (such as how many miles you drive, what times of day you drive, and how frequently you brake “hard”) to determine long-term discount eligibility.
3) Potentially saves you hundreds of dollars on your auto insurance!
Here are a few things that the Snapshot device does NOT do:
1) Does NOT compromise your privacy by tracking your locations (no GPS capability), determining whether or not you’re speeding, or whether or not you’ve been involved in an accident.
2) Does NOT affect your rate negatively. In the worst case, you just may not qualify for an additional discount, so it is risk free.
3) Does NOT cost you extra* and is NOT required. It is FREE* and optional!
*A $50 fee is charged if you fail to return the device after the temporary monitoring period.
Our agency is very excited about the opportunity to save our clients even more money on their auto insurance! And remember that we also represent several other reputable auto insurance companies with very competitive options! So why not call us today and let us save you time, money, and hassle in shopping for the auto insurance policy that best fits your needs and budget?
You may also qualify for other discounts, such as:
- Violation/Accident-free discounts
- Anti-theft discounts
- Vehicle recovery device discounts
- Anti-lock brakes discounts
- Airbag/restraints discounts
- Good student discounts
- Level of education discounts
- Pay in full discounts
- Paperless discounts
- Advance quote discounts
- Homeownership discounts
- Multi-car discounts
- Multi-policy discounts
- Senior (55+) accident prevention discounts
- Many other discounts!Call us today to discuss your coverage and your needs.